How the hell do you stay motivated, productive and mentally healthy in 2021? Notice we didn’t say physically healthy. We’re still eating leftover pies, so we’ll focus on the physical in February.
We know we keep saying this, but you’ve got to set some boundaries and develop some systems to keep the WFH under control and to hold yourself accountable.
Here are our tips for ensuring you are staying sharp, focused and sane.
A good workday starts the night before with a good amount of rest. It’s 2021. If you don’t already have a solid bedtime routine, you need one.
Here are some starter ideas:
- No screen time one hour before bed. We mean it. Put down the phone.
- Practice meditation, yoga, or breathing exercises. Just do something that requires you to chill.
- Read a chapter in a book. If you don’t have a book, hit us up. We’ve got lots of ideas for you.
- Journal and write down a few things you’re thankful for or want to reflect on this year, such as empathy.
Map Out Your Day
Is there anything better than an organized calendar? Experts (who are these guys?) suggest spending the first part of your day mapping out priorities to stay on track. We agree this is a great strategy, if taken the day before. At the end of the day, before you log off, do the following:
- Write down top priorities. There are always things you have to get done, so make sure you note what they are and then do the things below.
- Time blocking. If you know you have some major deadlines, set aside time in your day to tackle and stick to that time. The hardest thing to do is actually use the time you’ve allotted for what you’ve blocked it off for.
- Make note of any meetings (although we’re all working from home, it’s still possible to forget and run late to a meeting). By the way, just because it’s a Zoom meeting doesn’t mean you get a pass on how you look. Wash your face, brush your teeth, throw on a bra and some makeup and take a little pride in your appearance. It’ll also make you feel refreshed and ready to take on the day.
Let’s face it. We could all use a little organization. Here’s how to make it happen.
- Starting with your workspace, keep your area clean and clear of clutter to keep your mind focused. Light a candle, put on some music, get yourself a fake plant…fill your space with things that bring you joy.
- If you’re anything like us, you have too many tabs open on Google Chrome at all times. Like way too many. Do yourself a favor. Stop reading and right click on a tab you have open to organize your pages into new groups. You can thank us later.
- Please start deleting all those screenshots and images off your desktop. Seriously, do it once a week, and we swear you’ll feel lighter.
- If you aren’t using a task manager, WTH have you been doing with your life? There are a ton out there. Just Google it.
Perhaps our best piece of advice is to create a reward system for yourself. Get a task done, eat 5 Sour Patch Kids (or your candy of choice).
We know you can do this. We believe in you. Shit is hard right now, but you’re strong enough to overcome. And if you need a little help making that happen, you know where to find us.