Now that Christmas is over, you may be getting a sinking/panicked feeling as you realize 2018 is almost upon us. If you haven’t already started thinking about next year, now is the best time.
Boss Lady Kim Bode took to her blog last week to share some of her tips for planning an awesome 2018. We’ve got those tips here.
**This article was originally published on Small Biz Musings
The holidays are a great time to sit back and strategize on your business for the coming year. The weeks leading up to Christmas are a great reprieve from email, meetings and conference calls.
So make the most of it and set your goals for 2018. Grab the spiked Eggnog, a cozy blanket, your laptop and lets get to work.
- Before you get started, take a look at what you accomplished in 2017. Focus on the positive, what did you do well? What was the most profitable part of your business? For example, 8THIRTYFOUR grew our digital division while we saw a steady growth in public relations services as well.
- What didn’t work this past year? Make a note of the issues the business encountered. What did you do to correct it? Do you need to add this to your plan for 2018? This past year we tackled strategic planning, which resulted in some really tough business and staff decisions. What this did, was set us up to hit our revenue goals in 2018.
- Ok, now that you have taken stock of the past year, it’s time to look ahead. What is outside your control that can affect your business? Just recently the GOP passed their tax plan, what does this mean for your business? Will this impact your revenue? What can you do to offset it?
- Let’s talk numbers. What are your revenue goals for 2018? Setting this will determine your plan of action, which is the next step.
- Great, we got numbers…but how are you going to achieve them? Might, I suggest looking at the digital realm? Whatever your business might be, your potential clients are more than likely looking online to find you offer. If lead generation is a goal (isn’t it for everyone), then marketing must be a priority. And yes, it takes money to make money.
- Good, we all agree – marketing is super important. With your tools and tactics mapped out, you need to create a roadmap or timeline. Pull your leadership team together and set the milestones to reach your goals – break it down by week, month, 90 days.
- Looks like you are all set for 2018! Wrong. You need a ‘oh shit’ plan, because nothing ever goes according to plan. If you suddenly lose a major client, what will you do? Outline the steps you will take to protect your business.
Now that you are thoroughly buzzed up from your Eggnog…pat yourself on the back for taking this slow time to plan for the coming year. Oh, and call 8THIRTYFOUR so we can launch that lead generation strategy.
Get more Small Biz Musings from the Boss Lady herself on her blog.